Part Number: PTS-202
Military Specification: TT-R-2918A TYI
PTS-202™ is a biodegradable peroxide based paint remover that is formulated to remove the most resilient coatings from metal and composite surfaces that conforms with military specification TT-R-2918A TYI. This is a stable paint remover that will not corrode the metal. PTS-202 works by breaking through the film of the paint and lifting the paint off in sheets instead of turning the paint to sludge. This remover is easy and safe to use as well as clean up.
For best results, apply the product with an airless spray gun. The tip size must be intended for high viscosity coatings and hose size must be 3/8 ID. PTS-202™ may also be poured or brushed on the surface. PTI recommends spraying PTS-202™ with an airless sprayer. The tip size must be intended for high viscosity liquids and the hose size must be 3/8 ID. It is also acceptable to brush the product on.
1. Before starting any cleaning or preparation it is important to review and follow the original equipment manufacturers instructions regarding masking procedures.
2. All areas that are going to be masked should be clean with an approved cleaner, PTC-2002 (MIL-PRF85570DTY II), acetone, IPA or any other approved wash solvent.
3. The approved masking tape for this application is MIL-T-23397B TY II and should be applied with aplastic applicator to ensure proper adhesion.
4. Mask all antennas, windows and not metallic areas according to the original equipment manufacturers approved procedures.
1. Spray or brush a “tack” coat over the painted surface. PTS-202™ should be allowed to sit on the surface for 45 to 60 minutes to break through the paint film.
2. Re-apply with a heavier coat (2-3 mils wet film thickness). As a general rule, apply 2 – 3 mils of PTS202™for every one mil of dry film paint. At this point the paint remover should be allowed to sit on the painted surface for 4-10 hours until the paint film has visibly Lyfted from the substrate.
3. Rinse off the Lyfted paint and paint remover with water and allow the surface to dry thoroughly. Some spots where more resilient primers were used may require a third or even fourth application. If this is the case re-apply according to the application instructions.
The best conditions to apply the paint remover, is in an open hangar with a temperature between 70 and 80 degreesFahrenheit. High temperatures and high winds can cause premature evaporation which will reduce effectiveness.Low temperatures (below 50) can also increase the time of removal.
Surfaces may be slippery while applying and washing away this product.NOTE: Application of PTI products requires the use of all OSHA approved safety equipment, including proper ventilation. Additionally, PTI products require the recommended temperature/humidity conditions and film thickness ranges for optimal performance. The material, hangar, and aircraft skin temperatures should be no lower than 75⁰ F / 25⁰ C before, during and after application.
Rinse the surfaces that have been exposed to the PTS-202 with water. A pressure washer is preferable when rinsing the paint remover and the paint film from the substrate. Then wash away the remaining residue with PTC-2002 orPTC-2001. These are “0” VOC Cleaners. Do not use solvents to rinse away the PTS-202 or to remove the Lyfted paint film.For equipment cleaning PTI recommends cycling water, PTC-2001or PTC-2002 through the spray gun until all the residue has been removed. Do not use solvents to clean the equipment.
Refer to the SDS (Safety Data Sheet) for specific requirements on the health, safety, storage and handling requirements. Follow all local, state, and national regulations during surface preparation, material application and cleanup. IF your skin does happen to come in contact with this product it will bleach – this is not permanent. Rinse exposed area in water for 10 to 15 minutes.
Product Data Sheets are periodically updated to reflect new information. It is important to use the latest and most recent revision for the product being used. The foregoing information is accurate to the best of our knowledge